[80c] Penis Linux, a small debian-based new distro

Tom Keene tom at theanthillsocial.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 12:26:15 CEST 2012

I think the "beginners’ pipeline into the community" is a really fruitful approach that cuts across gender issues and simply recognises that there are people who would like to be involved in a project or set of technologies yet find access far out of reach, a reach that can unfortunately perpetuated by rockstar mentalities rather than the technologies themselves.

In a similar vein, I've heard Museum Institutions talk of creating "wormholes" where there is a desire to build stronger connections outside of the standard museums community, allowing people to get past/through protocol that invariable develops within any organisation/group/community.

Tom

On 11 Apr 2012, at 10:49, alex wrote:

> Becky Stewart (http://theleadingzero.com/) also agreed with Shelly on
> fb, saying she was frustrated with the lack of impact of women-only
> events, and the focus on her gender she felt at other (otherwise
> men-only) events.  She did point to this success story though, where a
> python community created a 'pipeline' from gender-specific events to
> the wider community:
> https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/the-boston-python-workshop-at-pycon-2012/
>
> alex
>
> On 11 April 2012 10:15, Aymeric Mansoux <am-80c at kuri.mu> wrote:
>> alex said :
>>> Shelly Knotts (http://shellyknotts.wordpress.com/) gave me permission
>>> to repost the following from facebook to here:
>>>
>>> Interesting theory... but im not sure i agree. I think its more likely
>>> a problem with deep rooted gender stereotyping not yet having been
>>> addressed in this area.
>>>
>>> Your final paragraph appears to characterise excluded groups (women
>>> being one of them) as being low in confidence and therefore not being
>>> able to apply themselves to the difficult task of learning how to
>>> programme. But I dont think it the case that women are inherently low
>>> in confidence for technical tasks. They are however culturally
>>> conditioned to have low confidence in this area.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> I had a chat with Marloes (http://pi.kuri.mu), who unfortunately cannot
>> join the discussion at the moment, and Shelly's comments are very close
>> to what she told me. As a someone participating for a while in free
>> software and art communities, she is also not so convinced that gender
>> specific events/funding/etc actually help.
>>
>> On similar line of thought I do believe that negative, polarizing,
>> stories on this issue are given too much attention, and that much of
>> this energy spent could be invested at a lower level, namely on getting
>> rid of gender stereotypes that are at the root of these problems.
>>

>> a.
>> --
>> http://su.kuri.mu
>

> --